EmpowerLA: 2018 Ignite Program
The Department of Neighborhood Empowerment is excited to announce the second cohort of IgniteLA, a program for young women that builds civic knowledge and leadership skills to bolster civic engagement.
Through a grassroots network of 99 Neighborhood Councils, EmpowerLA promotes civic engagement and improves government responsiveness to local needs.
Each Neighborhood Council consists of volunteer stakeholders who meet on a regular basis to discuss local issues, support neighborhood projects, and serve as a resource for the community.
Angelenas who complete the IgniteLA program will be ready to EmpowerLA by running in the upcoming 2019 Neighborhood Council Elections to join their Neighborhood Council Boards and Commmittees.
Young women between the ages of 14-24 who are interested in government and public service.
IgniteLA is a non-partisan program whose mission is to empower every young woman interested in public service with the political and practical skills she needs to be a successful civic leader.
Mondays evenings from 5:00pm -7:30pm September through November 2018.
IgniteLA will take place in 5 regional locations: the East and West Valley, West Los Angeles, South Los Angeles/Harbor and Downtown Los Angeles.
September 12– Application Deadline
- September 17th– Decision Notification
- September 24th– Session 1
- October 1st– Session 2
- October 15th – Session 3
- October 22nd – Session 4
- October 29th – Session 5
- November 5th – Session 6/Culmination
By the end of this program, young women will:
- Actively engage in the political process and assert and demonstrate their beliefs in the public arena
- Actively listen to the perspectives of people they agree with and disagree with in order to clarify their own beliefs
- Use civil discourse as a means to understand others’ viewpoints, clarify personal positions, and advocate and lobby for issues they care about
- Be a part of the movement toward gender parity with equal numbers of women in office across all political parties and levels of government
- Join their Neighborhood Council Boards and Committees
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.