SPECIAL EVENT: Invitation to the Final Hearing on School Safety
In the weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, I created the Blue Ribbon Panel on School Safety. I assembled an extremely esteemed group of experts from a variety of fields and we set out to:
1) Hold seven public meetings throughout the City of LA (one in each of the seven districts of LAUSD);
2) Drill down and examine what’s currently being done to keep our kids safe – both on-campus and in the neighborhoods surrounding schools; and
3) Fashion tangible and implementable recommendations based on our findings, the numerous subject matter experts we engaged and the members of the community who participated.
On Monday, June 11, we are holding our final meeting in the Council Chambers of City Hall, and you’re invited to attend. The meeting is 10-3 with a one-hour break for lunch. This meeting will be the starting point for the final report we release a bit later this summer.
You can also watch the meeting on TV City View, channel 35 within the City of Los Angeles, and on Facebook, the link for which is here: https://www.facebook.com/lacityview35/videos/2080352445538966/
We’ll have presentations and vigorous discussion about each of the following subcommittees:
1. Mental Health
2. Safety in Neighborhoods Surrounding Schools
3. School Safety Policies and Procedures
4. School Design and Infrastructure
5. Preventing Access to Guns/Investigating Threats of Violence
We hope you can join us in City Hall, or if not, watch it live. It is sure to be interesting and very timely. Appreciate your help in keeping our kids safe.