Community Alert! on Crime - LAPD SLO James W Lavenson
There has been a series of Residential Burglaries developing in the Westside communities. The suspects typically knock or ring the doorbell to verify if anyone is home. When there is no answer, the suspects enter the side or rear of the residence and force entry typically by smashing the window or door glass to gain entry. Suspects are targeting the master bed and bath as well as other areas of the home and removing Jewelry, cash, small valuables and small electronics.
Immediate Detection! Is key to prevention and apprehension. The Los Angeles Police Department recommends the following tips to help secure your home and harden the target:
· SURVEILLANCE/SECURITY CAMERAS: Web based surveillance and doorbell camera systems will allow homeowners to view and monitor activity from any smartphone or computer which are motion sensor activated and will alert your device when there is activity. They will also lend valuable information and clues to the investigation.
· ALARMS: Ensure that security alarms are in good working order and set when not at home whether leaving for 10 minutes or 10 hours. Accessible upstairs doors & windows should have alarm sensors and upstairs rooms should have motion sensors to include the master bedroom.
· ALARM RESPONSE: Consider a private patrol alarm response to enhance your current alarm and security system. In many cases private patrols are already contracted in many neighborhoods or associations.
· MOTION SENSOR LIGHTING: Install motion sensor lighting around your home to illuminate normally dark areas around the home. This will also alert residents to outside activity around the home when motion lights are activated.
· GATES: Ensure that all gates and access points to the side or rear of the residence are locked and secured.
· DOOR AND WINDOW LOCKS: Ensure that all doors and windows are locked and secured with sturdy secured locks and that there are second locking mechanisms securing all doors and windows as a second line of defense.
· MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YOU’RE HOME…Even when you’re not.
· NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH: Monitor suspicious activities in your neighborhood and alert your neighbors. Should the activity escalate to a crime about to occur, crime in progress or crime that just occurred, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY!
· SECURITY PATROLS: Consider after hours on site security at construction sites or major remodel projects. Many neighborhoods contract with private security patrols which monitor neighborhoods and can quickly respond to burglar alarm activations or reports of suspicious activity when they occur.
You may access crime mapping at www.crimemapping.com to review recent crimes in your area. Sign up to receive alerts when crime is reported in your neighborhood.
All other City Services: 311
James W Lavenson
Police Officer III Senior Lead Officer – SLO53
West Los Angeles Community Police Station