Letter to LA County 3rd District Supervisor Sheila Kuehl from Neighborhood Council Regarding Santa Monica Blvd "Sobering Center"
Hello WLASNC Board members and other stakeholders -
Attached please find the letter directed to LA County 3rd District Supervisor Sheila Kuehl from Neighborhood Council Chair Jamie Keeton, Esq.on behalf of the WLA/Sawtelle NC and all stakeholders of our district.
This letter has been sent directly to Supervisor Kuehl and also LA City Councilmember (District 11) Mike Bonin.
A TOWN HALL community event is currently being planned. The date is still to be determined. For more information please visit the WLASNC website at www.westlasawtelle.org.
This is a time sensitive and important issue for our neighborhood. Highlights include:
* The site at 14119 Santa Monica Blvd. (the old Ethan Allen Furniture Store) is the proposed site for a "sobering center".
* This was done through the efforts of LA County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl with ZERO community input.
* The only other "sobering center" is located in Central City East (i.e. Skid Row) in downtown.
* Inebriated and/or other impaired individuals from both near and far may be dropped off for an 8-10 hour stint.
* There has been no clear plan presented by Supervisor Kuehl's office, CM Mike Bonin's office or Clare Foundation regarding eligibility guidelines, 'catchment' areas, transportation issues etc.
* Local businesses and residents have NEVER been contacted or informed.
* A lease was signed apparently in secret.
* An apology after the fact is not acceptable.
COMMUNITY INPUT IS REQUIRED FOR PUBLICLY FUNDED PROJECTS. SUPERVISOR KUEHL IS A VETERAN POLITICIAN. WHY WAS THIS DONE IN SECRET? STAKEHOLDERS SHOULD DEMAND THAT COMMUNITY PROCESS BE RESPECTED.
Please forward this letter to other interested stakeholders. And please attend the upcoming Town Hall to discuss this issue.
The West Los Angeles/Sawtelle Neighborhood Council has voted unanimously that secret dealings be stopped immediately and that our elected officials respect and adhere to community process.
Submitted by the WLA/Sawtelle Neighborhood Council
Board Secretary and WLASNC member
Letter directed to LA County 3rd District Supervisor Sheila Kuehl from Neighborhood Council